- 2 pints fresh blackberries, rinsed and drained
- 1 pint huckleberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons gin or kirsch
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup cold milk
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon gin
- Powdered sugar
- In a large bowl combine the fruit, sugar and gin. Marinate at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Into a large bowl sift the flour, cocoa, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add the butter to the dry ingredients, and mix well with fingertips or a pastry blender to incorporate and the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the egg and milk, and mix just until the mixture comes together to form a sticky dough.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Drop the batter onto the sheet in 1/4-cup dollops, leaving 2 inches of space between each, and gently smooth with the back of a spoon. Bake until a tester inserted into the middle comes out clean, 12 to 15 minutes. Transfer to wire racks to cool.
- In a medium bowl, whip the cream to soft peaks. Add the sugar and gin and whip until stiff peaks form. Keep cold until ready to use.
- Carefully split the shortcakes horizontally and place the bottom half on each of 6 dessert plates. Top with a heaping tablespoon of berries and cream, then top with the remaining shortcake halves.
- Top with the remaining berries and cream, and garnish by sifting powdered sugar over each serving. Serve immediately.
Chocolate Shortcakes With Fresh Berries And Cream
Orange-Scented Shortcakes with a Fresh Berry Medley
Fresh Berries With Balsamic Drizzle And Almond Cream
Floís Mango Shortcake With A Fresh Coconut Ice Cream
Mascerated Strawberries Over Chocolate Shortcakes And Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
Goat's Cheesecake With Fresh Lemon Curd And Berries
Australian Pavlovas With Fresh Berries And Strawberry Puree
Hazelnut Dacquoise with Chantilly Cream and Berries
Mille Feuille Of Benne Wafers And Pineapple Pastry Cream With Macerated Berries
Benne Wafer Mille Feuille With Pineapple Pastry Cream And Berries