- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onions
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 6 tablespoons Roasted Garlic Puree, mashed into a paste
- 2 (28-ounce) cans whole peeled tomatoes, broken up, and their juices, seeds discarded
- 2 (15-ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce (recommended: Emeril's Kick it Up Red Pepper Sauce)
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 pound rigatoni
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chiffonade fresh basil leaves
- 3/4 cup grated Pecorino
- Chopped parsley, for garnish
- In a large heavy pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring, until soft, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes. Stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the garlic puree, and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes and their juices, tomato sauce, hot sauce and sugar. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, until thick and fragrant, 30 minutes. Remove from the heat and cover.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until just barely al dente, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain and transfer to the pot with the sauce. Add the lemon juice and bring to a simmer and cook until the pasta is well coated and warmed through, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer to a large, decorative pasta bowl and toss with the basil and 1/2 cup of the cheese. Garnish with parsley. Serve immediately and pass the additional 1/4 cup of cheese at tableside.