- 1/2 cup tamari
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 8 large taro leaves, or banana leaves
- Four 6-ounce Mahimahi fillets
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced Maui onions
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrots, about 3-inches in length
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery, about 3-inches in length
- 1/2 cup bias-cut green onions
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced ginger
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- LILIKOI REDUCTION:
- 14 ounces lilikoi or passion fruit puree or juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup sake
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- In a small saucepan, combine the tamari and sugar. Cook over medium-high heat until reduced by half, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool slightly.
- Prepare a grill.
- Lay 1 taro leaf on a flat surface. Spoon about 1 tablespoon of the tamari reduction in the center and top with 1 mahimahi fillet. Top the fish with one-quarter of the onions, carrots, celery, green onions, ginger and garlic. Season the fish and vegetables with 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and completely wrap inside the leaf. Repeat with the remaining ingredients. Wrap each fish fillet inside another leaf and place, folded sides down on the hot grill. Grill for 7 minutes per side.
- Remove from the grill and unwrap each bundle. Spoon 1/4 cup of the fruit reduction on each of 4 plates and top with the fish and vegetables. Serve immediately.
- LILIKOI REDUCTION: In a large saucepan, combine all the ingredients and cook over medium-high heat until reduced by half. Remove from the heat and cool for 5 minutes before serving.
- Yield: 1 cup
Grilled Taro Leaf Wrapped Mahi Mahi With Lilikoi (passion Fruit) Reduction
Grilled Banana Leaf Wrapped Fish
Coconut Shrimp With Star Fruit And Black Bean Salsa And Passion Fruit Cream
Pavlovas with Passion Fruit Curd
Grilled Double Cut Andouille Crusted Pork Chops With A Creole Mustard, Caramelized Onion Reduction Sauce
Grilled Lamb T-bones With A Red Wine Reduction Sauce
Citrus Grilled Mahi-mahi
Poached Pears Stuffed With Maytag Blue Cheese And Roasted Walnuts Wrapped In Puff Pastry With Port Wine Reduction Sauce
Pound Cake With Dried Fruit And A Port Wine Reduction Sauce
Hildaís Mahimahi With Seasonal Vegetables