- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds (3 cups) andouille or chorizo sausage, sliced in 1/2-inch rounds
- 3/4 cup chopped onions
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh parsley
- 3 cups diced peeled potatoes, about 2 large (1/4-inch dice)
- 3 quarts Basic Chicken Stock
- 4 cups kale, rinsed, stemmed, and leaves torn into pieces
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 5 turns freshly ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons chopped fresh mint (optional)
- in a large pot over high heat. When the oil is hot, add the andouille and the onions and sautÈ, stirring once or twice, for about 2 minutes. Add the garlic, parsley, and potatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 2 minutes.
- Add the stock and kale and bring to a boil. Stir in the bay leaves, thyme, salt, red pepper, and black pepper. Reduce the heat and simmer until the potatoes are fork-tender, for about 30 minutes. Remove from the heat and skim the fat from the top.
- Serve hot in deep bowls, allowing about 1 3/4 cups per portion. Stir 1/2 teaspoon of the mint into each bowlful, giving it a minute or two to infuse the soup with its flavor. Serve with a crusty Portuguese or French bread.