- 2 cups Fish Stock or
- Shrimp Stock
- 1 teaspoon saffron threads
- 2 cups diced escolar or other white firm-fleshed fish steak, such as yellowfin tuna, halibut, amberjack, or monkfish
- 2 teaspoon Emeril's Creole Seasoning
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup assorted fresh wild mushrooms, such as chanterelles, shiitakes, oyster mushrooms, or black trumptets, stemmed if needed and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons peeled, seeded, and chopped Italian plum tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 cup rinsed and stemmed fresh spinach leaves
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 turns freshly ground black pepper
- Combine the stock with the saffron in a bowl and let sit to allow the saffron to infuse the stock, for about 15 minutes.
- Combine the escolar with the Creole Seasoning and use your hands to coat the fish thoroughly.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over high heat. When the oil is hot, add the seasoned escolar and sautÈ, shaking the skillet, for about 1 minute. Add the mushrooms, tomatoes, basil, green onions, garlic, and spinach and sautÈ for 1 minute. Add the mushrooms, tomatoes, basil, green onions, garlic, and spinach and sautÈ for 1 minute. Stir in the infused stock and simmer for 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in the salt and pepper and remove from the heat. Makes about 4 cups.
- Serve hot in shallow bowls with hot crusty bread.
- Source: Emeril's New New Orleans Cooking
- Dish Type: Soups