- 2 to 3 tomatoes (about 3/4 pound)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry (half a 17.3-ounce package), defrosted
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup Roasted Garlic PurÈe
- 12 to 15 fresh basil leaves
- 6 ounces fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Cut the tomatoes into 1/2-inch slices. Arrange in a single layer on a rack set over a baking sheet. Season lightly with 1/4 teaspoon salt and let drain for 30 to 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400?F.
- Place the pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface and roll it into a 10 1/2-inch square. Transfer to a baking sheet. Brush evenly with the oil, then the garlic purÈe. Arrange the tomato slices over the pastry. Cover each with a basil leaf, then top with a slice of cheese. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and the pepper.
- Bake until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is bubbly, about 20 to 25 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature, cut into squares.