- Three 8-ounce boneless duck breasts
- 1 tablespoon Creole Seasoning
- 1/4 cup diced Homemade Tasso or
- other spicy sausage or ham
- 1 cup finely chopped yellow onions
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrots
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 large sweet potatoes (about 2 pounds), peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 cups Chicken Stock or
- canned low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons bleached all-purpose flour
- Season the duck on both sides with 1 teaspoon of the Essence. Heat a large heavy pot or Dutch oven over high heat. Add the duck, skin side down, and immediately lower the heat to medium. Sear until the skin is browned, 5 to 6 minutes. Turn the duck and cook for 3 minutes. Transfer the duck to a plate and let cool. Discard the duck skin and cut the meat into 1/2-inch cubes.
- Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of the duck fat from the pot and return the pot to medium-high heat. Add the tasso, onions, carrots, celery, and salt, and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the shallots and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 1 minute. Add the garlic and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the sweet potatoes and cook, stirring constantly, until beginning to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the stock, bay leaves, and the remaining 2 teaspoons Essence and the duck and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Whisk 6 tablespoons of the heavy cream and the flour in a small bowl until smooth, then whisk into the soup. Increase the heat to medium-high. Add the remaining 1/2 cup cream and cook at a brisk simmer, stirring often, until the sweet potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Discard the bay leaves.
- Serve hot ladled into bowls.
The King's Creole Fried Pork Chops With Mashed Sweet Potatoes And Southern Cooked Greens
Twice Baked Potatoes With Duck Confit
Spiced Baked Ham With Sweet Potatoes
Portuguese-Style White Bean Soup with Chicken and Bacon
Potato Soup With Salt Cod Fritters
Duck And Sausage Etouffee
Caramelized Onion and Parmesan Cheese Soup with Parmesan Cheese Toasts
Chicken, Vegetable, And Rice Soup
Chilled Roasted Beet And Fennel Soup With Apple-mint Crema And Toasted Pistachios