- 4 1/2 pounds boneless beef short ribs, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup bleached all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, or as needed
- 4 large carrots, coarsely chopped
- 4 celery ribs, coarsely chopped
- 1 large yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 bay leaves
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups Rainwater Madeira
- 6 cups Veal Stock or
- canned low-sodium beef broth
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Emeril's Creamy Polenta, for serving
Season the meat with salt, and pepper. Dredge it in the flour, shaking to remove any excess.
Heat 3 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large enameled casserole or Dutch oven. In batches, brown the meat on all sides, about 10 minutes per batch, adding more oil to the pot as needed. Transfer the meat to a large platter. Discard the oil.
Add the remaining 3 tablespoons oil to the pot and heat over medium-high heat. Add the carrots, celery, onions, and bay leaves and cook, stirring often, until the onions are softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, until heated through, about 1 minute.
Add the Madeira, stirring to scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pot. Add the stock and bring to a boil. Return the meat to the pot. Lower the heat to medium-low and simmer, partially covered, stirring occasionally, until the meat is tender, about 2 1/2 hours. (During cooking, make sure there is always at least 1 inch of liquid in the pot; add more stock or water as necessary.)
Remove the pot from the heat. Skim any fat from the surface of the cooking liquid, and remove and discard the bay leaves. Sprinkle the ribs with the parsley and serve immediately with Emeril's Creamy Polenta.
Braised Short Ribs
Duck Braised with Apples and Cabbage
Seared Scallops On Truffle White Bean Puree With Wild Mushroom Sauce
Chilled Roasted Beet And Fennel Soup With Apple-mint Crema And Toasted Pistachios
Red Wine And Port Braised Short Ribs
Duck And Sausage Etouffee
Grilled Marinated Flank Steaks
Dad's Meat Loaf
Apricot Glazed Cornish Game Hens With Sausage Rice Pilaf Stuffing
Chef Neal's Baby Back Ribs With Orange Chipotle Glaze