- 1/2 cup bleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons Creole Seasoning
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup masa harina (available at Latin markets and many supermarkets)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, or as needed
- Four 8-ounce redfish fillets
- Blend 1/4 cup of the flour, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, and 1 teaspoon of the Essence in a small mixing bowl. In another small bowl, combine the egg with 2 tablespoons water, 1/4 teaspoon of the salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of the Essence. Whisk to blend. In a third bowl, combine the masa harina and the remaining 1/4 cup flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon Essence. Stir to blend.
- Lightly dust both sides of the fillets with the flour mixture, then dip in the egg wash, and finally coat with the masa harina mixture. Shake off any excess.
- Heat the olive oil in a large heavy nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add two of the fillets and panfry until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Using a slotted spatula, transfer to paper towels to drain. Tent with aluminum foil to keep warm. Add more olive oil to the skillet as needed, and cook the remaining fillets. Serve immediately.