- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup bleached all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Put 1 tablespoon of the vegetable oil into a 9-inch round baking pan or cast-iron skillet. Put it in the oven to heat for at least 10 minutes.
- Stir together the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, and cayenne in a large mixing bowl. Add the buttermilk, the remaining 1/4 cup oil, and the egg and stir just to blend.
- Pour the batter into the preheated pan. Bake until lightly golden brown, about 25 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.