- Vegetable oil
- 2 cups yellow corn meal
- One and one-fourth cups all-purpose flour
- One and one-half teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning mix
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- One and one-half cups boiling water (about)
- One-half cup minced onions
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- In a large bowl, sift together the corn meal, flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, Creole seasoning, and pepper. Stir in only enough boiling water to make a stiff dough that can be shaped. Stir in the onions and parsley, and shape into balls, about one and one-half inches in diameter.
- Heat about 2 inches of vegetable oil to 360 degrees in a large, heavy skillet. Fry the hushpuppies, several at a time, in the hot oil about 5 minutes, turn the hushpuppies over and continue frying about 3 minutes, or until golden brown. Transfer the hushpuppies with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain.