- 4 large Idaho potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 cup milk
- Freshly ground white pepper to taste
- Put the potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with salted water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and cook, covered, until tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain, then return the potatoes to the pot. Add the butter and stir and mash until it melts completely. Add the milk and stir to mix. Season with salt and pepper and serve hot.
- Variation: Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes can be made by adding 2 tablespoons roasted garlic.