- 1 vanilla bean, split in half
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 large egg yolks
- Basic Savory Piecrust
- Twelve 4-ounce disposable baking cups or custard cups
- 12 small coconut macaroons
- 2 cups Sweetened Whipped Cream
- Sprigs of fresh mint for garnish
- Confectionersí sugar
- Preheat the oven to 300?F.
- With a sharp knife, scrape the pulp from the vanilla bean. In a medium-size saucepan, combine the heavy cream, granulated sugar, and vanilla pulp and bean over medium heat. Bring to a gentle boil and stir to dissolve the sugar. Simmer over medium heat for 3 minutes. Remove from the heat, strain through a fine-mesh sieve, and discard the vanilla bean.
- In a medium-size mixing bowl, whisk the egg yolks until frothy. Add the cream mixture a little at a time, whisking until the mixture is slightly thick.
- Divide the dough into 2 equal portions. Roll each out into a round 12 inches in diameter and 1/8 inch thick. Cut 6 rounds, 4 inches in diameter, out of each 12 inch round. Line each of the disposable foil cups or custard cups with a round of dough, pressing it on the bottom and sides with your fingers. Place the cups in a large shallow baking pan. Place a macaroon in the bottom of each cup. Pour about 1/4 cup of the custard over the macaroons in each cup. Add enough water to the baking pan to come halfway up the sides of the cups. Bake until the custard sets and the tops are golden brown, about 45 minutes.
- Remove from the oven. Let cool, then refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving. Garnish with the whipped cream, mint, and confectionersí sugar.
- Source: Emeril's TV Dinners
- Dish Type: Dessert