- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 pound ground pork
- 1/4 pound fresh chorizo sausage, removed from the casing and crumbled
- 1 cup chopped yellow onions
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 12 slices white sandwich bread
- 2 cups Chicken Stock or
- canned chicken broth
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 large egg
- 1 roasting chicken (4 to 5 pounds), rinsed with cool water and patted dry
- Butcherís twine
- 1/4 cup water
- Preheat the oven to 400?F.
- Heat the oil in a large sautÈ pan over medium heat. Add the pork and chorizo and cook until completely browned, about 3 minutes. Add the onions, celery, and bell pepper, season with salt and black pepper, and cook, stirring until the vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Remove from the heat.
- Put the bread in a large rectangular glass baking dish and pour in the chicken stock. Soak for 10 to 15 minutes. Remove and squeeze each slice, reserving the stock. In a large mixing bowl, combine the bread and stock with the pork-and-vegetable mixture. Mix well. Season with salt, black pepper, and crushed red pepper. Stir in the parsley. Let cool completely and season again with salt and black pepper. Add the egg and mix thoroughly.
- Season the mixture generously with salt and black pepper. Stuff the cavity with the sausage mixture. Close the cavity and cross the legs, securing them with butcherís twine. Put the water in the bottom of a roasting pan and place the chicken in the center of the pan. Bake until the chicken browns evenly, about 1 hour. Reduce the heat to 375?F and continue to bake until it becomes very tender and the juices run clear, about another hour. Let the chicken rest for a few minutes before carving into serving pieces.
- Serve with the stuffing.
Chicken Pockets Stuffed With Goat Cheese, Chorizo, And Pine Nuts On A Bed Of Southern Style Black Eye Peas
Whole Roasted Squabs Stuffed With Eggplant And Bacon Dressing
Lamb Roast Stuffed With Crawfish And Chevre
Pan Roasted Filet Mignon Stuffed With English Stilton And Walnuts
Mixed Grill With Warm Potato And Chorizo Salad
Crawfish and Chorizo Stuffed Clams with Caldo Verde Butter
Rock Shrimp Stuffed Flounder
Rock Shrimp Stuffed Filet
Roast Pork Loin with Rosemary
Chorizo Crusted Scallops With Cilantro Guacamole And Tortilla Strips