- 4 pounds raw chicken bones, including the carcass and necks, rinsed in cool water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup coarsely chopped carrots
- 1 cup coarsely chopped celery
- 3 cups coarsely chopped yellow onions
- 1 head garlic, split in half
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 3 quarts water
- Bouquet Garni
- Break and crack the bones of the carcasses.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a 6-quart stockpot over medium-high heat. Season the bones with 1 teaspoon of the salt and the pepper. Add the bones to the pot and brown for about 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the carrots, celery, onions, garlic, and the remaining teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the wine and tomato paste and stir to mix. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the water and the bouquet garni, and bring the mixture to a boil. Skim off any cloudy scum that rises to the surface, then reduce the heat to medium and simmer, uncovered, for 3 hours.
- Strain the stock through a fine-mesh strainer and let cool. Refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight, then remove any congealed fat from the surface. The stock will keep in the refrigerator for 3 days or in 1- to 2-cup containers in the freezer for up to 1 month.