- 3 1/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 cups cold lard or solid vegetable shortening
- 4 to 5 tablespoons ice water
- Combine the flour and salt in a bowl. Add the lard and work it in with your hands until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the water, 1 tablespoon at a time, working it in with your hands. Add only as much as you need to make a smooth ball of dough. Wrap it in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and place it on a lightly floured surface. For 2 crusts, cut the dough in two and put the second half back in the refrigerator. For each crust, roll the dough out on the floured surface into a circle about 12 inches in diameter and 1/8 inch thick. Gently fold the circle in half and then in half again so that you can lift it without tearing it, and unfold into a 9-inch pie pan.
- Fill and proceed as directed in the recipe.