- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 vanilla bean, halved and scraped
- 9 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 bananas, peeled and sliced into 1/3-inch rounds
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 1/4 cup rum
- CARAMEL SAUCE:
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 3/4 cup chopped toasted pecans
- CRISPY PLANTAIN CHIPS:
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
- 2 green plantains, sliced as thin as possible on a mandoline
- In a saucepan combine heavy cream and milk with vanilla bean and bring to a simmer. In a bowl whisk egg yolks with sugar until smooth. Ladle a small amount of the hot cream mixture into the beaten yolks and whisk to combine. Add a few more ladlefuls of hot cream into egg-cream mixture and mix well. Return egg - cream mixture to the remaining hot cream in pot and continue to cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon. Do not allow to boil. Immediately transfer custard to a clean bowl and place in an ice bath. Stir until cool, then refrigerate until thoroughly chilled before processing.
- While custard is chilling, melt butter in a sauté pan and add brown sugar. Add banana pieces, cinnamon and nutmeg and cook, stirring, until bananas have softened and caramelized. Remove pan from heat and add bourbon and rum (away from flame), return to heat and continue to cook until liquid has evaporated. Transfer banana mixture to a small bowl and refrigerate until cool.
- When custard is cold, process in an ice cream machine according to manufacturer’s instructions. Add bananas near end of processing time.
- Serve with Caramel Sauce and Crispy Plantain Chips as a garnish. CARAMEL SAUCE: In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the brown sugar, butter and heavy cream and bring to a boil. Reduce heat slightly and continue to cook for 3 to 4 minutes, until thickened and coats the back of a spoon. Stir in pecans and keep warm until ready to serve with Banana Ice Cream and Crispy Plantain Chips.
- CRISPY PLANTAIN CHIPS: In a deep fryer or large saucepan heat vegetable oil to 350ºF. Fry plantain strips in batches until slightly golden, about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Remove to paper towels to drain. Sprinkle immediately with spiced sugar and serve as a garnish alongside banana ice cream.
- Source: Essence of Emeril EE2A34
- Dish Type: Dessert