- OYSTER ROCKEFELLER SOUP:
- 4 slices bacon, cut into small dice
- 1 small yellow onion, cut into small dice
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 pint oysters and their liquor
- 4 cups heavy cream
- 1 pound fresh spinach, well washed and stems removed
- 1/2 cup Herbsaint, or other licorice flavored liquor such as Pernod or Ouzo
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons white pepper
- CRISPY GRUYERE CROUTONS:
- 16 1/4-inch slices French bread
- 1 large clove garlic, peeled and smashed
- 1/2 cup grated Gruyere cheese
- OYSTER ROCKEFELLER SOUP: In a large heavy stockpot, cook the bacon over medium-high heat until brown, about 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the onions and cook for 5 minutes, then the garlic and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add the oysters, the oyster liquor and cream and bring the mixture to a boil. Remove the pot from the heat.
- Using an immersion blender, or in batches in a blender, puree the ingredients, adding the spinach as in batches as you puree. Season with the salt and white pepper, and stir in the Herbsaint.
- Serve immediately with Crispy Gruyere Croutons.
- CRISPY GRUYERE CROUTONS: Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Place the sliced bread in one layer on a large baking sheet and bake until just lightly brown on both sides, turning once, about 3 - 4 minutes per side.
- Remove the bread from the oven and rub the garlic over one side of each slice. Top each slice with cheese and roast until the cheese is bubbly, about 4 minutes. Serve two croutons with each serving of Oyster Rockefeller Soup.
- Yield: 8 servings
Oysters On The Half Shell With Emerilís Hot Sauce Sorbet
Oyster Rockefeller Soup Garnished with Crispy Bacon and Fried Oysters
Turnip Soup With Crispy Country Ham And Cornbread Croutons
Crispy Fried Oysters With Caviar Cr»me Fraiche
Garlic Soup With Croutons
Portuguese Clam Stew With Garlic Croutons
Oysters Rockefeller Soup
Garlic Soup With Creole Croutons