- 1 1/2 pounds Idaho potatoes, about 3 large, scrubbed and boiled in skins until tender
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3/4 to 1 cup flour
- Salted water for cooking gnocchi
- GARLIC CREAM SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup Roasted garlic, pureed minced
- 4 cups heavy cream
- Salt and cayenne pepper
- BALSAMIC-GLAZED PEARL ONIONS:
- 1 pint pearl onions, peeled and ends trimmed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup Balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup chicken or beef stock
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- GNOCCHI: Allow the cooked potatoes to cool slightly, then carefully peel while holding potato with a kitchen mitt. While still hot, puree potatoes through a ricer or food mill into a large mixing bowl and allow to cool completely before proceeding. Add the cheese, egg, salt and pepper and mix well. Gradually add in enough flour to form a smooth, slightly sticky dough. Briefly knead the dough to incorporate the flour, being careful not to overwork.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a rolling boil.
- Cut the dough into 6 equal pieces and place one piece on a lightly floured work surface. Roll piece into a long rope, about 1/2-inch in diameter, flouring lightly if needed. Slice the rope into pieces 1/2-inch wide. Roll each piece briefly to form small balls. Holding one piece at a time, roll the tines of a fork against the dough until slight indentations are formed. Repeat with each piece of dough, setting formed gnocchi on a floured kitchen towel or baking sheet.
- Immediately add the gnocchi to the boiling water and continue cooking for 2 to 3 minutes once they have risen to the top. Remove the cooked gnocchi with a slotted spoon or skimmer and serve immediately with Garlic Cream Sauce and Balsamic Glazed Pearl Onions.
- GARLIC CREAM SAUCE: In a saucepan combine roasted garlic and heavy cream and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until liquid has reduced by half, about 20 minutes.
- In a blender, puree sauce (Use caution if hot!), and season with salt and pepper to taste. Toss gnocchiwith sauce and garnish with BALSAMIC GLAZED PEARL ONIONS.
- BALSAMIC-GLAZED PEARL ONIONS: In a skillet over medium-high heat sauté onions in butter until golden brown on all sides, turning onions frequently for even coloring. Season with salt and pepper and add balsamic vinegar, stock, sugar and thyme sprigs and continue to cook, stirring frequently, until liquid has evaporated to a syrupy consistency and onions are cooked through, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Note: If liquid has reduced and onions are not cooked through, add a little bit of water and continue to cook until done, scraping sides and bottom of pan to prevent burning.
Pumpkin Gnocchi With A Brown Butter Sauce, Crisped Sage And Shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano
Pork Tenderloin With Prunes And Pearl Onions
Roasted Squab With Poached Garlic, Garlic Cream Potatoes And Vinegar Meat Jus
Gnocchi Au Gratin With Orleans Cream Sauce
Seared Chile Marinated Breast Of Chicken With Mole Cream Sauce And Tamarind Glaze
Warm Spinach Salad With Balsamic And Andouille Vinaigrette With Sliced Red Onions And Goat Cheese
Butternut Squash Gnocchi With Balsamic Brown Butter
Goat Cheese Gnocchi And Warm Spinach Salad With Caramelized Onion And Andouille Vinaigrette
Roasted Garlic Custards With Seared Shrimp And Green Onion Coulis
Creamed Potatoes With Spinach And Roasted Garlic