- 6 1/2-pound country ham steaks (uncooked)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3/4 cup very strong coffee
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- BUTTERMILK BISCUITS:
- 2 cups flour, sifted
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup plus 2 teaspoons buttermilk
- Heat a large skillet over high heat and sauté ham steaks 4 to 5 minutes on each side. Remove to a plate and keep warm while you make the sauce.
- Add butter and onions to skillet and cook until onions are softened, scraping up any browned bits on pan bottom. Add flour and stir well to combine. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes, then add coffee and chicken stock. Whisk well to combine, then allow sauce to cook until thickened, about 6 minutes. Add green onions and heavy cream and cook 5 minutes longer. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve over ham steaks with.
- BUTTERMILK BISCUITS: Preheat oven to 375ºF and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients and blend thoroughly. Using your fingers or a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add buttermilk and quickly blend in, making sure to not overwork the dough.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough with a rolling pin to a thickness of 1/2-inch. Use a biscuit cutter or the rim of a glass, press out as many biscuits as possible. Gather up scraps and quickly knead back together, then cut out as many additional biscuits as possible. Place biscuits on prepared baking sheet and bake until golden brown, about 15 to 20 minutes. Serve immediately.
Country Ham and Apple Slaw Sandwich with Baby Swiss and Bourbon Mustard
Country Ham With Red Eyed Gravy And Creamy Grits
Chicken and Biscuits with Redeye Gravy
Fried Ham And Red-eye Gravy
Pan Fried Quail With Country Milk Gravy And Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes
Ham Steaks With Red Eye Gravy, Sweet Potato Biscuits And Molasses Pecan Butter
Emeril's Egg Benedict With Country Ham, Poached Eggs And Fresh Herb Hollandaise
Country Ham And Cheese Biscuits
Chilled Sweet Corn – Buttermilk Soup With Blue Crab And Shaved Country Ham
Country Ham And Cheddar Omelet