- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup chopped bell peppers
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 large eggplant, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes (about 2 pounds)
- 1 cup water
- 6 cups cooked long-grain rice
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat and brown the pork and beef. Add the onions, bell peppers, and celery and cook for about 5 minutes, or until the vegetables are wilted. Add the salt, cayenne, eggplant, and water. Cook, stirring often, for about 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for about 30 minutes, or until the eggplant is very soft. With a spoon, mash the eggplant against the side of the pot.
- Add the rice and parsley. Mix thoroughly, breaking up any clumps. Heat until the rice is warmed through.
- Serve immediately.