- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 4 mirlitons (about 2 1/4 pounds)
- 6 cups water
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoons plus 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 tablespoon Zatarain's Concentrated Liquid Shrimp & Crab Boil (optional)
- 1/4 pound andouille or kielbasa sausage, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cups thinly sliced yellow onions
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions (scallions), green parts only
- 3/4 cup dried fine white bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 tablespoon Creole Seasoning
Preheat the oven to 350?F.
Grease a 2-quart rectangular baking pan with the butter.
In a large saucepan, combine the mirlitons, water, bay leaves, 1 tablespoon of the salt, the cayenne, and Zatarain's boil, if using. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook, uncovered, until the mirlitons are fork-tender, 40 to 50 minutes.
Remove from the heat and drain. Let cool for 30 minutes and peel. Cut the mirlitons in half lengthwise and remove the seeds. Cut each half into 1/2-inch-thick slices.
In a large sauté pan over medium heat, brown the sausage about 4 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl.
To the same sauté pan, add 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Add the onions, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and the black pepper. Cook, stirring, until the onions are soft and lightly golden, about 5 minutes. Add the mirlitons, garlic, parsley, and green onions; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes, and remove from the heat. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan.
Combine the sausage, bread crumbs, cheese, Creole seasoning, and the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. Mix well. Sprinkle the mixture over the mirliton mixture, covering the top completely. Bake until the top is golden brown, about 30 minutes. Serve warm.
Creole Mirliton Pirogues
Eggplant And Seafood Au Gratin
Crab Bisque With Crab Boulettes
Crawfish Stuffed Pork Chops With Crawfish Borderlaise Sauce
Fried Crawfish Salad With Mirliton Relish And Creole Remoulade
Collard and Mustard Greens in Ham Hock Gravy
Shrimp And Crabmeat Stuffed Mirlitons