- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 4 mirlitons (about 2 1/4 pounds)
- 6 cups water
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoons plus 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 tablespoon Zatarain's Concentrated Liquid Shrimp & Crab Boil (optional)
- 1/4 pound andouille or kielbasa sausage, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cups thinly sliced yellow onions
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions (scallions), green parts only
- 3/4 cup dried fine white bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 tablespoon Creole Seasoning
Preheat the oven to 350?F.
Grease a 2-quart rectangular baking pan with the butter.
In a large saucepan, combine the mirlitons, water, bay leaves, 1 tablespoon of the salt, the cayenne, and Zatarain's boil, if using. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook, uncovered, until the mirlitons are fork-tender, 40 to 50 minutes.
Remove from the heat and drain. Let cool for 30 minutes and peel. Cut the mirlitons in half lengthwise and remove the seeds. Cut each half into 1/2-inch-thick slices.
In a large sauté pan over medium heat, brown the sausage about 4 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl.
To the same sauté pan, add 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Add the onions, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and the black pepper. Cook, stirring, until the onions are soft and lightly golden, about 5 minutes. Add the mirlitons, garlic, parsley, and green onions; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes, and remove from the heat. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan.
Combine the sausage, bread crumbs, cheese, Creole seasoning, and the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. Mix well. Sprinkle the mixture over the mirliton mixture, covering the top completely. Bake until the top is golden brown, about 30 minutes. Serve warm.