- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 whole duck (about 3 to 5 pounds), cut into 8 pieces
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 cups julienned onions
- 3 ounces finely chopped Tasso
- 3 cups sliced assorted wild mushrooms, such as Shiitakes, Oysters, and Chantrelles
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 cups dark chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
- In a cast-iron skillet, heat the olive oil. Season the duck pieces with Essence. When the oil is hot, sear the duck for 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Remove the duck from the skillet and set aside. Stir in the flour and cook for 5 to 7 minutes for a medium brown roux. Add the onions, Tasso and mushrooms. Saute for 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add the duck pieces back to the skillet. Add the red wine and stock. Bring the liquid up to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
- Continue cooking for 30 to 35 minutes or until the duck meat is tender. Turn the duck pieces in the sauce every 10 minutes to prevent the meat from drying out. Stir in the green onions. Adjust the seasonings if needed.