- 4 (6 ounce) links of Bratwurst
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Emeril's Original Essence or other Creole seasoning
- 4 ounces smoked bacon, small diced
- 1 cup julienned onions
- 1 pound Napa cabbage, shredded
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons Creole mustard
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
- salt and white pepper
- 4 large hot dog buns
- Zapps potato chips, for serving
- Dixie Beer
Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium-high. Rub each sausage with olive oil and season with Essense. Place the sausages on the hot grill and cook for 3-4 minutes on all sides, or until cooked through.
In a large sauté pan, render the bacon until crispy, about 4-5 minutes. Remove all but about 2 to 3 tablespoons of bacon drippings (reserve for another purpose). To the drippings remaining in the pan, add the onions and sauté for about 4 minutes, or until they are wilted. Add the cabbage and continue sautéing for 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in the garlic, mustard and vinegar. Continue sautéing for 2 minutes. Reseason if necessary. Stir in the parsley.
Remove the sausages from the grill and place in the buns. Mound the slaw on top of sausage. Place the dogs on a platter and serve with Zapps and cold beer.
Yields: 4 dogs