- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Emeril's Original Essence
- 1 whole chicken, about 4 pounds, cut into 8 pieces
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound chorizo, cut on the bias in 2-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cups large-diced potatoes
- 1 red pepper, julienned
- 1 yellow pepper, julienned
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes, peeled and seeded
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 head garlic, skin removed and cloves left whole
- 1 cup pitted kalamata olives, sliced
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup finely chopped parsley leaves
- Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- Salt and black pepper
- 2 cups white rice, cooked, hot
- Freshly grated Parmesan, for garnish
- Chives, for garnish
- Small loaf crusty bread, for serving
Season the flour with Essence. Toss the chicken in the seasoned flour.
Heat the olive oil in a large cast iron skillet, over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add the chicken and sear until golden brown on all sides, about 4 to 6 minutes on each side. Remove the chicken from the skillet and set aside. Add the chorizo to the skillet and cook until browned on both sides.
Add the onions, potatoes, and peppers. Cook the vegetables for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking. Add the tomatoes, shallots, garlic cloves, and olives. Season the vegetables with Essence. Stir in the white wine, chicken broth, and parsley and return the browned chicken to the skillet.
Bring the liquid up to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cover and simmer the chicken and vegetables for about 45 minutes or until the chicken is fall-from-the-bone tender.
Add the crushed red pepper flakes and green onions. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper if necessary.
Mound the rice in the center of the bowl. Arrange the stewed chicken around the rice. Garnish with freshly grated cheese, chives and Essence. Always serve with crusty bread.