- Port Reduction:
- 3 cups port wine
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup assorted dried fruits, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Confectioners' sugar
- Fresh mint sprigs
- Whipped cream in a pastry bag with star tip
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9x5x3 inch loaf pan.
- For the sauce: Combine the port wine and zests together in a samll saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer to reduce the mixture to 1/2 cup and is about the consistency of syrup, 25 to30 minutes.
- For the cake: Cream the butter and sugar together. Beat in one egg at a time into the butter mixture, scraping the bowl often. Combine the flour, spices, and fruit together. Gradually add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, beating on low speed just untill combined. Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 55 to 65 minutes. Remove the cake from the pan and cool on a wire rack. Stack a couple of slices in the center of a plate. Drizzle with the port wine reduction. Garnish with whipped cream, powder sugar and fresh mint.