- 1/2 pound small red bliss potatoes
- 5 slices bacon, julienned
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped scallions
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and black pepper
- 2 cups flour, in all
- 2 tablespoons Creole spice
- 2 eggs
- 2 small trout
- Chopped parsley, for garnish
- Boil potatoes until tender; drain. While hot, cut potatoes into a bowl. Cut in half if small, in quarters if larger. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, preferably cast-iron, cook bacon until crisp. Using a slotted spoon scoop up bacon pieces and add to potatoes with vinegar, scallions and 1 tablespoon oil, season and set aside, keeping salad warm.
- To skillet of bacon grease add remaining oil and heat until bubbly. In a shallow bowl combine
- flour and 1 tablespoon of Creole spice. In another shallow bowl whisk eggs with a pinch of seasoning. Season fish with remaining spice. Dredge fish in seasoned flour, shaking off excess; dip in egg wash; dredge again in flour and place immediately in sizzling skillet. Cook until golden and crisp, flip it over, reduce heat and finish cooking, about 8 minutes. Spoon potato salad onto 2 dinner plates and top with fish. Garnish with chopped parsley.