- 7 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 pounds Granny Smith apples, cored, peeled and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 2 pounds Mclntosh apples, cored, peeled and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 2 ounces Calvados
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 pinches of salt
- 1 cup pecan pieces
- 1 unbaked 10-inch Basic Savory Pie Crust
- 4 ounces Wisconsin sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 8 scoops vanilla ice cream
- Preheat the oven to 350deg F.
- In a large sauté pan, melt 3 tablespoons of the butter. Add the granulated sugar, 1/2 cup of the brown sugar, the lemon juice and 1 tablespoon of the flour. Stir the mixture for 1 minute to dissolve the sugars. Add the apples and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add the Calvados and carefully flame the apples. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Sprinkle with the nutmeg, cinnamon, and a pinch of salt. Mix thoroughly, then remove from the heat. Set aside and let cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the remaining 4 tablespoons butter, the remaining 1/2 cup brown sugar, the flour, and a pinch of salt. Using your hands, blend well, until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Pour the apple filling into the pie shell. Sprinkle the crumb mixture evenly over the top, then bake until the top is lightly browned, about 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and sprinkle the cheese over the top. Return the pie to the oven and bake until the cheese is melted and bubbly, about 8 minutes.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.