- 2 pounds sweet potatoes
- Olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Kentucky Bourbon
- Fresh cinnamon sticks
- 2 pound venison loin
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups thinly sliced onions
- 2 1/2 cups veal stock
- 1 recipe of Southern Cooked Greens
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Season the potatoes with olive oil, salt and pepper. Place in the oven and roast until tender, about 1 hour. Remove from the oven and peel away the skin from each potato. Place the potatoes in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the butter. Season with salt and pepper. Using a handheld masher, mash the potatoes until they are slightly smooth.
- Add the cream and incorporate thoroughly. Add the bourbon to taste. Reason with salt and pepper. Set aside, keeping warm.
- Prepare the smoker using the cinnamon sticks instead of the wood chips. Season the loin with the olive oil, salt and pepper. Place in the smoker, cover and smoke for 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from the smoker. In a large sauté pan, over medium heat, add 2 tablespoons of the vegetable oil. When the pan is hot, sear the loin for 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
- In sauté pan, over medium heat, combine the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil and flour. Mix well. Cook for about 10 minutes for a dark roux or until the color of chocolate, stirring constantly. Add the onions. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until the onions are wilted, about 6 minutes. Stir in the veal stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer for 30 minutes. Reseason if necessary. Remove from the heat and keep warm.
- Place loin in the oven and roast for about 20 minutes for medium rare. Remove from the oven and rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
- Place a spoonful of the sweet potatoes in the center of each plate. Mound the greens around the sweet potatoes. Lay the slices of venison around the potatoes. Spoon some of the gravy over the meat. Garnish with green onions.
Root Beer Glazed Pork Chops with Bourbon Mashed Sweet Potatoes and Caramelized Onions
Vanilla And Bourbon Marinated Pork Loin With Sour Cream Mashed Sweet Potatoes And Pecan Gravy
Venison Medallions With A Smoked Bacon And White Bean Ragout With A Creole Mustard Sauce
Roasted Pork Tacos With Green Mole Sauce And A Cinnamon And Apple Relish
Seared Venison Chops With Elderberry Reduction, Garlic Mashed Yukon Gold Potatoes, And Sauteed Baby Spinach
Grilled Venison With Braised Red Cabbage And Mashed Potatoes
Emerilized Salisbury Steak With Mushroom Gravy And Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Pan Fried Quail With Country Milk Gravy And Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes
Venison Medallions With Balsamic Reduction And Celery Pear Puree
Roasted Chicken With Caramelized Onions, Andouille And Sweet Corn Bread Pudding With Southern Cooked Greens