- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 3 ripe bananas, peeled, sliced lengthwise in half and cut crosswise into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 2 tablespoons banana liqueur
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 cups chocolate mousse
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 large bananas, peeled and sliced crosswise into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 cup chocolate sauce, (in a squeeze bottle)
- In a large saute pan, over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the brown sugar and stir until the sugar dissolves. Add the bananas and cook, stirring for 3 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and carefully add the liqueur and rum. Return the pan to the stove and carefully ignite the alcohol and shake the pan until the flames die down, about 30 seconds. Remove from the heat and cool completely.
- In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, combine the milk and cream. Bring the mixture to a scalding point. In a mixing bowl, beat the egg yolks. Add the cream mixture about 1/4 cup at a time to the beaten eggs, whisking well after each addition. Pour the mixture back into the saucepan, and cook, stirring, over medium heat until the mixture becomes thick enough to lightly coat the back of a spoon, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and pour the mixture into a large glass mixing bowl. Add the pureed bananas and stir to mix. Cover the top with plastic wrap pressed against the surface and let cool. Place the mixture in the refrigerator and chill completely.
- Pour the banana mixture into an ice cream machine and follow the manufacturer's instructions for the churning time. **If you leave the ice cream in the freezer for a while before completing the pie, be sure to let it soften up a bit first.
- TO ASSEMBLE: Line 1 cup molds with plastic wrap. Spread 3/4 cup of the ice cream over the bottom and sides of the individual 1 cup molds. Spoon 1/4 cup of the chocolate mousse in the center of the mold. Fill the mold with the remaining ice cream. Wrap the molds in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm.
- FOR THE GARNISH: In a saute pan, over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the sugar and stir to dissolve. Cook the sugar mixture for 1 minute. Add the bananas and continue to cook for 1 minute. Remove from the heat.
- To serve, drizzle each plate with the chocolate sauce. Unmold the bombes and place in the center of each plate. Spoon the banana mixture over each bombe and serve immediately.