- 6 ounces salt pork, cut into medium dice
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pound dried yellow split peas
- 10 cups water
- In a large saucepan, over medium heat, render the salt pork. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the onions, carrots, and celery. Season with black pepper. Sauté for 4 minutes. Stir in the bay leaf and peas. Add the water. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium low and cook until the peas are tender, about 1 1/2 hours. Reseason if necessary.
- **The soup can either be pureed until smooth or served as is with crusty bread.
- Ladle the soup into individual serving bowls and garnish with parsley.