- 1 1/2 pounds ground lamb
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 4 tablespoons chopped mint
- 2 teaspoons Creole seasoning
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or as needed
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
White Bean and Mint Relish
- 4 ounces chopped bacon
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup small diced fresh tomatoes (seeded)
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 cup cooked Navy or Cannellini beans, drained
- Mint sprigs, for garnish
In a mixing bowl, combine the lamb, shallots, garlic, 2 tablespoons of the mint, Creole seasoning, cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, and egg. Mix well. Form into 12 small patties.
Make the relish according to instructions below.
Heat a grill to medium-high and clean and oil the grill grates.
Brush the patties with the olive oil and grill the patties until just cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes per side.
To serve, spoon the relish in the center of 6 serving plates. Place 2 lamb patties on top of the relish (or spoon it on top of the patties). Garnish with fresh mint sprigs.
Make the White Bean and Mint Relish:
In a sauté pan, over medium heat, render the bacon until crispy, about 6 to 8 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove and drain on paper towels, reserving 2 tablespoons of the bacon fat for the relish.
In a mixing bowl, combine the reserved crispy bacon, red onions, diced tomatoes, minced garlic, lemon juice, beans, remaining 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint and reserved bacon fat. Mix well. Season with salt and pepper to taste.