- 1 cup milk
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 ounces grated Gruyere cheese
- 1 cup flour
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. In a saucepan, combine the milk and butter. Bring the liquid to a boil. Add the flour, salt and pepper and stir quickly with a wooden spoon. Stir until smooth, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat. Stir in the eggs, one at a time, stirring well after each egg. Stir in the cheese. On a parchment or waxed paper lined baking sheet, place a spoonful of the mixture, 1/4-inch apart in a circle, forming a ring. Place in the oven for 10 minutes. Reduce the oven heat to 350 degrees F. Continue to bake for 25 minutes. Do not remove from the oven until they are firm to the touch. Remove from the oven and serve warm.