- 1/2 pound chopped andouille sausage
- 4 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1/2 cups stone ground white grits
- 1 cup grated white cheddar cheese
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup fine dried breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs, beaten with 1 tablespoon of milk
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup minced yellow onions
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 2 pounds peeled Louisiana crawfish tails
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes with their juices
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- Dash hot sauce
- Dash Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions, green part only
- 2 ounces grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- lemon juice, to taste
Cook the sausage in a saucepan over medium high heat for about 4 minutes. Transfer the sausage to a paper towel lined plate.
In the same saucepan add the milk, salt, cayenne, and butter and bring to a boil. Stir in the grits and reduce the heat to medium. Cook, stirring often for 30 minutes, then add the cheese and the sausage and stir until the cheese melts. Pour the grits into a greased square glass pan. Refrigerate the grits until firm, about 2 hours. Cut the grits into 6 portions and then cut each portion into a triangle. Season the flour and breadcrumbs with Essence. Dredge the cakes in the seasoned flour. Dip each cake in the egg wash, letting the excess drip off. Dredge the cakes in the seasoned breadcrumbs, coating each cake completely. Heat 1/4 cup of the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the grits cakes, and cook for 3 minutes per side, or until golden brown.
Heat the remaining olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and season with the Essence. Cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the garlic and crawfish tails, and season with the Essence to taste. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and continue to cook for 5 minutes. Add the cream and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the cream has thickened. Season the sauce with hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice and salt and pepper. Stir in the green onions and cheese. To serve, spoon the crawfish sauce over the grits cakes.