- 1 (3 to 3 1/2-pound) bottom round rump roast, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon Essence
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 large yellow onion, sliced
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 5 cloves garlic, smashed
- 3 cups canned low-sodium beef broth
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons flour
- Easy Rice, recipe follows
- Easy Rice:
- 2 cups long-grain white rice
- 4 cups water or canned, low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- Preheat the oven to 275 degrees F.
- Season the meat on all sides with the Essence, salt, and pepper. Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven and brown on all sides, about 4 minutes per side. Remove the roast from the pan and add the onion slices, thyme sprigs, and garlic. Place the roast on top of the onions, fat side up. Add the beef broth to the pan, bring to a simmer, and place in the oven, uncovered. Roast until the beef is tender and registers an internal temperature of 130 to 135 degrees F, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Transfer the roast to a platter or cutting board and let rest for at least 15 minutes before carving.
- Meanwhile, use a slotted spoon to discard the onions and thyme sprigs. Place the Dutch oven over medium-high heat to heat the beef drippings. Combine the butter and flour in a small bowl. In two parts, whisk the butter flour mixture into the beef drippings and bring to a simmer. Cook, whisking constantly, until slightly thickened, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat and transfer to a gravy boat or decorative bowl.
- Carve the beef thinly and arrange the slices on large plates alongside Easy Rice. Drizzle gravy over each portion.
- Easy Rice:
- In a 2-quart saucepan, combine the rice, water, butter and salt, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer until all the liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and let sit, covered, for 10 minutes. Uncover and fluff the rice with a fork before serving.
- Yield: about 7 cups
Beef Stroganoff Hamburger Dinner In A Skillet
Sunday Dinner Pork Roast With Mushroom Gravy
Seafood And Sausage With Essence Cream Sauce
Herb Stuffed Roasted Chicken With Reduced Pan Gravy, And Herbed Rice Pilaf With Peas
Roast Chicken And Vegetables With Gremolata Butter
Spicy Chicken With Cashews
Quick Chicken Stir-fry
Microwave Double Chocolate Brownies With Sweetened Whipped Cream
Emeril's Shrimp Scampi With Herbed Rice Pilaf