- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 3/4 cups packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- Vanilla ice cream, accompaniment
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter and lightly flour an 8-cup loaf pan (10 by 5 by 3), knocking out the excess flour.
- Into a large bowl, sift the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, molasses, and vanilla.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer, cream together the butter and sugar, beating about 3 minutes. Add the eggs 1 at a time, beating well after the addition of each. Alternating, add the wet and dry ingredients in 3 additions each, mixing just until combined and being careful not to overwork.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake until the cake is risen and just set and a tester inserted into the middle comes out clean, 50 to 55 minutes. (If cake gets too brown, tent it with foil).
- Cool in the pan 40 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to finish cooling. Slice cake into pieces, top with pecan topping, and serve with vanilla ice cream, if desired.
- TOPPING: In a saucepan, combine the ingredients, and simmer until thick. Serve over top of cake.
Chocolate, Buttermilk Cake With Fudge Icing And Coffee Ice Cream
Buttermilk Spice Cake
Buttermilk Spice Cake With Fresh Apple Puree And Roasted Walnut Cream Cheese Frosting
Buttermilk Spice Cake With Roasted Walnut Cream Cheese Frosting
Chocolate Chocolate Pudding Cake With Chocolate Ganache
Chocolate, Chocolate Cake
Chocolate Pound Cake And Peanut Butter And Chocolate Praline Ice Cream Sandwiches
Mini Chocolate Bundt Cakes With Peanut Butter Filling And Chocolate Glaze
Chocolate Bundt Cakes With Peanut Butter Filling And Chocolate Glaze
Chocolate Pecan Cake With White Chocolate Mocha Sauce