- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped yellow onions
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 envelope (1/4-ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup warm water (about 110 degrees F.)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons Kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions, and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often, until they are caramelized, about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool completely.
- Using an electric mixer with a dough hook, whisk the yeast, sugar, garlic, 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, the warm water, and the caramelized onions together for 2 minutes to dissolve the yeast. Add the salt and flour. With the mixer on low, mix until the dough starts to come together. Increase the speed to medium-high and mix until the dough comes away from the sides of the bowl and crawls up the dough hook. Grease a mixing bowl with 1 teaspoon of the oil. Place the dough in the greased bowl and turn once. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place in a warm, draft free place until the dough doubles in size about 1 1/2 hours.
- Grease a half baking sheet pan (17 by 12) with 2 teaspoons of the oil. Turn the dough out onto a baking sheet. Punch the dough down and press the dough out to form the pan.
- Brush the dough with remaining 1/4 cup of the olive oil. Sprinkle the dough with kosher salt and coarse black pepper. Lightly cover the pan with plastic wrap and let the dough rest for 1 hour. Bake the dough for 30 to 35 minutes or until the dough is golden brown. Slice the bread into individual pieces or into sandwich slices.
- 24 individual pieces or 12 sandwich slices.
Five Onion Foccacia And Roasted Vegetable Sandwich
Caramelized Onion Foccacia
Hand Pulled Mozzarella Cheese
Lentils With Bulgur Wheat And Caramelized Onions: Moujadara With Burghul
Caramelized Onion And Foie Gras Bread Pudding
Caramelized Onion Tart
Crispy Catfish And Black Eyed Peas, Bacon And Caramelized Onion Relish With Fried Collard Greens