- 4 slices thick cut bacon, chopped
- 1/2 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 stalks celery hearts, sliced on a bias
- 1 pound Yukon gold potatoes, cut into quarters
- 1/2 head Nappa cabbage, (about 1/2 pound) thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup hard apple cider
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup thinly sliced honeycrisp apple
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 bay leaf
In a large high-sided sauté pan render the bacon. Once the bacon has crisped, add the onion and celery and cook until the onion begins to caramelize, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add the potatoes, cabbage, apple cider, and chicken stock and bring to a simmer. Add the apples, season with the salt and pepper, add the apples and cover. Cook the potatoes, cabbage and apples, undisturbed, over medium-low heat until the potatoes are tender about 25 to 30 minutes. Remove the lid, stir and check seasonings. If potatoes are still not tender, cover and continue to cook a few minutes longer.
Serve immediately with your favorite pork or chicken dish.