- Peanut or vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 pounds Idaho potatoes
- Emeril's Original Essence
- 6 ounces shredded mild Cheddar
- 2 ounces shredded Monterey Jack
- Pour peanut or vegetable oil into a deep, heavy-bottomed stockpot or deep fryer, to a depth of 4 or 5 inches. Preheat oil to 350 degrees F.
- Peel potatoes and cut into 1/3-inch-thick rounds using a crinkle French fry cutter. Fry potatoes until golden brown and cooked through, about 5 to 7 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel-lined plates. Season the fries lightly with Essence and salt.
- Place fries in a wide, shallow casserole dish or baking sheet and sprinkle with the shredded Cheddar and Monterey Jack cheeses, layering the fries and the cheese. (If you want the cheese to be completely melted, bake in a 350 degree F oven for about 4 minutes after layering the fries and cheese.) Serve immediately.