- 6 Jerusalem artichokes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices (about 3/4 pound)
- 2 large baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices (about 1 1/4 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 3/4 cup grated cheddar (3 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup dried fine bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 teaspoons Rustic Rub 
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Place the Jerusalem artichokes and potatoes in a mixing bowl and season with the salt, black pepper, and cayenne. Mix in 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and toss thoroughly to coat.
Butter the bottom and sides of a 2-quart baking dish. Put half of the artichoke-potato mixture in the bottom of the pan, then sprinkle with 1/4 cup of the chopped onions, 1 teaspoon of the chopped garlic, and 1/4 cup of the cheese, and the flour. Top this with the remaining artichoke-potato mixture. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup onions, 1 teaspoon garlic, and 1/2 cup cheese. Pour the milk over the mixture.
In a bowl, mix together the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil with the bread crumbs, parsley, and rub. Spread this topping evenly over the mixture. Bake for 1 hour, or until the potatoes are tender.