- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onions
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 jalapeno, stemmed, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 cup dried black beans
- 5 cups chicken stock plus more if needed
- Juice of one fresh lime
- Emeril's Original Essence
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 (6-ounce) fresh tuna steaks
- 6 (8-inch) corn tortillas, cut into 1/8-inch strips
- Avocado Puree 
Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirrin, until the onions are soft, about 2 minutes. Add the jalapenos, garlic and beans. Cook for 1 minute. Season with Essence. Stir in the stock and lime juice, and season with chili powder and cumin. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for about 2 hours or until the beans are tender. Reseason the beans with salt and pepper. Stir in the cilantro and butter. Remove from the heat.
Preheat the grill to medium high. Preheat the fryer to 350 degrees F.
Season the tuna with olive oil and Essence.
Place the tuna on the grill and cook for 2 minutes on each side for rare. Remove from the grill. Place the tortilla strips in the hot oil and fry until crispy, about 2 minutes. Remove from the oil and drain on a paper towels. Season the tortillas with Essence. Season with salt and pepper. To assemble, spoon the Black Bean Chili in the center of each plate. Place the tuna on top of the chili. Drizzle the tuna with the Avocado Puree. Garnish with the fried tortillas.
- Source: Emeril Live EM1B30E 
- Dish Type: Entree 
- Cuisine: Contemporary American 
- Cooking Method: Combination 
- Occasion: Any 
- Effort Level: Simple