- 2 medium-sized heirloom tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 cups sliced cremini or oyster mushrooms
- 2 cups aborio rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 6 to 8 cups chicken, mushroom or vegetable stock , hot
- 1/2 pound asparagus, sliced on the bias about 1/4-inch thick
- 1 cup diced fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons basil chiffonade
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Rub each tomato with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and place on a baking sheet and roast for 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and when cool enough to handle remove the skins and roughly chop the tomatoes. Set aside.
In a saute pan, heat the remaining olive oil. When the pan is hot, saute the shallots, garlic for 1 to 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms and continue sauteing for 2 minutes. With a wooden spoon, stir in the rice and saute for 1 minute. Add the white wine and cook, stirring until the wine has completely evaporated. Begin adding the chicken or mushroom broth 1/2 cup at a time until all of the liquid is incorporated into the rice, stirring constantly, about 10 minutes. Fold the tomatoes and their juices, asparagus and basil and continue to cook for 1 to 2 minutes longer. Add the cheese and gentl fold until the cheese has melted. Serve immediately.