- 2 cups sambal oelek (ground fresh chili paste)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup minced garlic
- 1/4 cup minced fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup mirin
- 2 tablespoons Vietnamese fish sauce (nuoc nam)
- 2 tablespoons dark Asian sesame oil
- 3 pounds large shrimp (about 30 shrimp), peeled and deveined, head and tail segments intact
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh mint
In a medium bowl, combine all the ingredients except the shrimp, cilantro, and mint. Whisk well to combine. Allow the marinade to sit at room temperature for at least 1 hour and up to 4 hours.
Place the shrimp in a 1-gallon resealable plastic bag, and add all but 1 /2 cup of the marinade to the bag. Allow the shrimp to marinate at room temperature for 1 hour.
Preheat a grill to medium-high and oil the grill.
Place the shrimp on the grill and cook until they are just cooked through, 2 to 2 1 /2 minutes per side. Transfer the cooked shrimp to a large bowl. Add the reserved 1 /2 cup marinade, the cilantro, and the mint, and toss well to combine. Transfer the shrimp to a large serving bowl or platter, and serve immediately.
6 to 8 servings
Yellowfin Tuna with Grilled Pineapple Salsa
Grilled Fish Tacos with a Roasted Chile and Avocado Salsa
Grilled Marinated Fish With Tropical Salsa And Coconut Rice
Island Shrimp And Pineapple Skewers With Rum Butter Sauce
Soft-shell Crabs On The Grill
Grilled Shrimp With Caviar Butter
Grilled Swordfish With White Bean Relish And Potato Skordalia
Grilled Tuna With Black Bean Chili, Avocado Puree and Fried Tortillas
Grilled Soft-shell Crabs With Jumbo Lump Crabmeat
Grilled Chicken Thighs with Brazilian “Vinaigrette” Salsa