1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9 × 13-inch baking dish with oil and set aside.
2. Heat a 12-inch sauté pan over medium heat. Add
the sausage and cook, stirring and breaking the meat
into small pieces, until lightly browned, 8 to 9 minutes.
Transfer to a paper towel–lined plate to drain.
3. Add 1 tablespoon oil to the same pan and increase
the heat to medium-high. Add the onion, bell pepper,
zucchini, and 1⁄4 teaspoon of the salt and cook, stirring
occasionally, until the vegetables are just tender,
about 4 minutes. Add the herbs and stir to combine.
Transfer to a plate to cool.
4. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the cooled
sausage and vegetables and stir gently to mix well.
5. Spread 4 cups of the bread cubes in the bottom of
the prepared baking dish. Top with half of the
sausage- vegetable mixture. Sprinkle with half of the
fontina and half of the Parmesan. Repeat with the
remaining bread, sausage- vegetable mixture, and
6. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk the eggs, half-and-half,
stock, pepper, and remaining 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt. Pour the egg mixture evenly over the top of the casserole, making sure you cover as much of the bread as possible.
7. Bake the casserole until cooked through, the cheese has
melted, and the top is golden and a nice crust has formed,
about 1 hour. Set the casserole aside to rest for about 10 minutes before serving.
Yield: 10 to 12 servings
Note: The casserole may be assembled and then refrigerated up to overnight before being baked. Allow it to return to room temperature before baking.