- 8 ounces red beets (about 3 small beets)
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/4 teaspoons sea salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ounces yellow beets (about 3 small beets)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 8 ounces goat cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup toasted and chopped pistachios
- 2 cups baby arugula, rinsed and spun dry
- 2 cups peppercress or watercress, rinsed and spun dry
- 8 slices sourdough bread, toasted
- 1/4 cup Onion Jam
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Place the red beets in a small bowl; drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and season with 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and 1/8 teaspoon of the pepper. In another small bowl, repeat this process with the yellow beets. Place the red beets on a square of aluminum foil and wrap to form a packet. Do the same for the yellow beets, and then place both packets on a baking sheet. Roast in the oven until tender, 55 to 60 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool. Once the beets are cool enough to handle, rub them with a paper towel to remove their skins, trim the tops and bottoms to form a flat surface, and then thinly slice the beets on a mandoline, between 1/8 and 1/4 inch thick.
- In a small bowl, combine 2 tablespoons of the olive oil with the balsamic vinegar. Drizzle the red beets with 1 tablespoon of the balsamic–olive oil mixture, season with 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and 1/8 teaspoon of the pepper, and set aside. Repeat with the yellow beets. Reserve the remaining 2 tablespoons of the balsamic–olive oil mixture.
- In a small bowl, mix the goat cheese with the chopped pistachios and the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Toss the arugula and peppercress with the reserved 2 tablespoons balsamic–olive oil mixture, and season with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Assemble the sandwiches by spreading 1 tablespoon of the goat cheese mixture over each of the 8 slices of toast. Divide the red and yellow beets evenly among 4 slices of the bread, and then spoon 1 tablespoon of the Onion Jam over the beets on each one. Place 1/2 cup of the greens on top of the onion jam on each sandwich, and then cover with the remaining 4 slices of toast. Cut each sandwich in half and serve immediately.
Chilled Roasted Beet And Fennel Soup With Apple-sage-mint Crema, And Toasted Pistachios
Vegetable And Goat Cheese Empanada With Roasted Tomatillo Sauce
Arugula With Cilantro Oil, Peppered Goat Cheese, And Roasted Walnuts
Roasted Baby Beet Salad With Warm Goat Cheese And Frisee
Corn And Goat Cheese Chili Con Queso With Sourdough Cornbread
Pistachio Crusted Rack Of Lamb With Goat Cheese Mashed Potatoes And Peasant Style Sauce
Duck Roulades With Avocado, Pistachios, And Pistachio Armagnac Sauce
Pistachio And Cheese-stuffed Figs
Goat Cheese And Leek Cake With Lentil Salad