- 4 1/2 pounds eggplant (about 4 large globe eggplants)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1/4 cup plus 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- Pita Chips
- Preheat the oven to 500ËšF. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Poke the eggplants randomly all over with the tines of a fork and place on the prepared baking sheet. Roast, turning once, until the eggplants are soft, about 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-low heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring, until lightly golden, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Peel the eggplants and put the flesh into the bowl of a food processor. Add 1/4 cup of the lemon juice, 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil, the garlic, tahini, salt, black pepper, and cayenne. Process until smooth. Transfer the mixture to a serving bowl and fold in the onions. With the back of a spoon, make a shallow indentation in the middle of the dip. Drizzle in the remaining teaspoon extra virgin olive oil and 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice, sprinkle with the parsley, and serve with Pita Chips.