- 1 tablespoon plus 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup fresh sweet corn kernels (from 1 small ear)
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup minced red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced seeded fresh jalapeÒo
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup bleached all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Grease a 12-mold muffin tin with 1 tablespoon of the vegetable oil.
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, combine 1 cup of the milk, the corn, and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat. Add the bell pepper and jalapeño.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar, cornmeal, flour, the remaining 1 teaspoon salt, and the baking powder. Mix well. Add the remaining 1/4 cup vegetable oil, the remaining 1/2 cup milk, the eggs, and the corn mixture. Mix well.
- Spoon a heaping 1/4 cup of batter into each muffin tin and bake until lightly golden, 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and cool for 3 minutes, then remove from the muffin tins and serve warm.