- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup flour
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1/2 cup chopped bell peppers
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 pound smoked sausage, such as andouille or kielbasa, chopped
- 2 quarts Turkey Broth
- Reserved turkey meat from broth
- Reserved onions and celery from broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- Combine the oil and flour in a large cast-iron pot or enameled cast-iron Dutch oven, over medium heat. Stirring slowly and constantly for 20 to 25 minutes, make a dark brown roux, the color of chocolate.
- Season the onions, bell peppers, and celery with the salt and cayenne. Add this to the roux and stir until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the sausage and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes. Add the broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, for 45 minutes. Add the reserved turkey meat and the reserved onions and celery and cook for 15 minutes. Add the parsley and green onions.
- Serve in soup bowls with rice. (FilÈ powder can be added at the table according to personal taste.)