- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onions
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 small jalapeno, stemmed, seeded and chopped
- 1 pound dried black beans
- 6 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- Emeril's Original Essence
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup small diced red onion
- 1 ear of sweet corn, kernels removed from the cob
- 11/2 pounds rock shrimp, peeled
- 1/2 cup small diced Roma tomatoes, cored and seeded
- 2 cups Mole Sauce, also available in specialty food stores
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large, heavy pot over medium heat. Add the onions and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Stir in 1 tablespoon of the garlic, the jalapenos and the black beans. Continue to cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the water and bay leaf. Bring to boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, until the beans are tender, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Remove from the heat, cool completely and strain. In a food processor, fitted with a metal blade, puree 3/4 of the mixture until smooth. Add water if it becomes thick. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from the processor and transfer the mixture to a mixing bowl. Stir the remaining beans into the pureed beans.
- Season the flour, egg wash and bread crumbs with Essence. Divide the mixture into eight equal portions and form into patties, about 1-inch thick. Dredge each cake in the seasoned flour. Dip each cake into the egg wash, letting the excess drip off. Dredge the cakes in the seasoned bread crumbs, coating completely.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Pan-fry the bean patties, in batches, until crispy, about 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels and keep warm.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in another skillet over medium heat. Add the red onions and corn and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, for 4 minutes. Season the shrimp with salt and pepper. Add the shrimp to the vegetables and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes and remaining teaspoon of garlic, and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Stir in 1/4 cup of the Mole Sauce. Remove from the heat and add the cilantro.
- To serve, spoon the sauce in the center of each plate. Place two cakes in the center of each plate. Spoon the shrimp mixture over the cakes. Garnish with parsley.
- To make appetizer portions, divide the bean mixture into smaller portions (16 ro 18) and increase the amount of eggs to 3 for the egg wash. The directions remaing the same.
Crispy Catfish And Black Eyed Peas, Bacon And Caramelized Onion Relish With Fried Collard Greens
Black Grouper With Sofrito And Rock Shrimp Toast
Rock Shrimp And Mozzarella Strudel With A Smokey Tomato-butter Sauce
Red Mole Sauce
Roasted Pork Tacos With Green Mole Sauce And A Cinnamon And Apple Relish
Grilled Tuna With Tortilla Sauce, Black Bean Chili, And Salsa
Sauteed Rock Shrimp In Creole Cream Sauce In A Puff Pastry Vol- Au-vent
Grilled Tuna With Black Bean Chili, Avocados And Fried Tortillas
Pork And Black Bean Chalupas With Tex Mex Dressing
Grilled Tuna With Black Bean Chili, Avocado Puree And Fried Tortillas