Not only is this jam great on burgers, it is perfect served alongside grilled or roasted meats or as an addition to a cheese and charcuterie plate.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 cups thinly sliced red onion
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. Heat the olive oil and butter in a medium heavy-bottomed nonreactive saucepan over medium heat. When it is hot, add the onion and cook for about 15 minutes, stirring as needed, until it is caramelized.
2. Add the apple cider, vinegar, sugar, rosemary sprig, salt, and pepper. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for another 30 to 35 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onion has reached a jam-like consistency.
3. Discard the rosemary sprig and set the jam aside to cool before using, or cover and refrigerate for up to 1 week.
Yield: 1 cup
Copyright 2001 - 2013 Emerils.com All Rights Reserved